Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Me Be Lead Wwoofer

I am so happy to be back in Salt Spring and if they had outhouses I might not put up that big of a fight if I was asked to clean them out. That is saying a lot. I've been climbing the wwoofing ladder these days and have been selected "Lead Wwoofer" by the farmies. Basically the farmers tell me what to do and I have to (literally) translate it to two new wwoofers, Hey-Me-Toe (I might not be spelling - or for that matter saying - her name correctly) and Stefan. This has resulted in many mishaps on the farm - veggies being mistaken as weeds, birds getting caught int he blueberry nets and the wrong plants being thrown in the compost piles. I've been taking the constructive critism very well and although my position is in question I must say that I am pleased with the way the farm is looking. Hey-Me-Toe is from Japan and she does NOT want a tan or the swine flu so she has been farming in a very long rain jacket and she wears a mask. She sweats. A lot. A whole lot. Stefan is from Austria and is a gardener but doesn't know the English names for any plants. Although we don't understand each other very well, we have a great time together. The two of us try to put on a show for Hey-Me-Toe and have competitions to see who can make her laugh first which is difficult because we can't see facial expressions behind her mask. But, I finally have a lake buddy and after work we play at the lake for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment